I’ve been battling with this question and since I’m not a software developer, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject:
What do you do when developing a tool to ensure it can be used in restricted/limited resources environments with regards to bandwidth, hardware, etc…
What do you take into consideration?
What pitfalls or challenges do you face?
What barriers stand in the way of using certain softwares in Low Middle-Income Countries?
What license do you use?
How to deal with data download/upload interruptions?
Here is an example of some of the feedback I got while asking folks this question in the CarpentryCon Sprint:
- Design for offline use
- Design for multiple platforms
- Minimizing the use of language, compensating with visual elements
- Clear and simple text may often work clearer than visual elements
- Think about balance between text-heavy and image heavy which impacts users with language difficulties and visual impairments, respectively.
- Autosave in case of disaster/ lack of electricity
Link to event notes if anyone is interested: https://selgebali.gitbook.io/opencider/events-1/past-events/sprint-carpentrycon-home
Eager to hear your thoughts and ideas