Inclusion best practices for virtual events

aloha,

looking for advice specific for virtual event, ie. everything that one should think of in addition or in place of inclusion best practices for physical events.

an obvious one to me is that captioning should be prioritized even more, since in a virtual setting it is even harder in many ways to communicate and since you are already streaming, it is much easier to add captioning (manual or automatic).

one other thought I had was that virtual events offer more pricing flexibility. a while ago I already tried and failed to find a payment provider that makes it possible to determine price based on the country of origin of the payment option of the purchaser (credit card, bank). this way one could adapt pricing via the big mac index.

of course some people might not have access to any means to easily transfer funds or might not be able to afford any amount. what is the best way to identify those people to give them free access?

anyway, what best practices you have, small and big. simple or ambitious?

I will then see to adding these items to https://github.com/DutchPHPConference/conference-diversity-and-inclusion

2 Likes

It’s not specific to virtual, but we put together an events resource here: https://discover-cookbook.numfocus.org/

Many of the suggestions are equally applicable for virtual events. Also, contributions are welcome! It would be great to see some issues or PRs addressing the new pandemic-induced environment requiring more virtual convenings.

2 Likes

Hi @lsmith, welcome to the community! Please do not forget to introduce yourself too.

It is not about virtual events exactly, but here is a similar thread on virtual meetings. For more interactive session tips, @abbycabs shared some great thoughts back in March:

Super! If you are interested and have time, this would also be good content to collect on our website:

Thank you for this work!! The Fedora Diversity & Inclusion Team used the Numfocus cookbook for creating the Fedora event guidelines. They are a long time in the making but I hope we will be able to share something more polished from the Fedora side this year:

2 Likes