Maintenance of opensourcediversity.org

When I checked the content of opensourcediversity.org recently, I saw that some links were outdated. I created an issue on the topic Outdated links for Open Source Diversity Berlin and Diversify Open Source Bangalore in spaces section. · Issue #140 · opensourcediversity/opensourcediversity.org · GitHub

If I can help with maintenance of the website and keeping it up-to-date, I’ll be interested in taking that up.

I maintain a project called first-contributions. So, I have some experience in maintaining open source projects

3 Likes

Sounds good, I think there have been multiple conversations around how to move forward with the website. The original concept was to keep it simple so even new starters could contribute but others have discussed rewriting it in a framework. Thanks your PR regarding the updated links.

1 Like

Probably worth acknowledging the discussion here regarding the topic of rewriting the website. Tagging @jwf who kicked off that conversation, I do not have an update on the current status. I took a look today at open PRs and left some comments, this could be a could first step towards maintenance, checking what is still relevant/ being worked on and closing those which are not. I understand it to be a sensitive topic because folks added PRs there and received no communication regarding their work :frowning: so setting up some sort of governance to how folks can contribute would be a really good first step in my honest opinion.

Also tagging @jan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@sudo thanks for checking the issue and offering maintenance help! You are already in the organization on Github so technically you’re good to go. :slight_smile:

@jessica0greene @jwf I have to say I’m not sure rewriting the website in some specific framework will make it easier. Wouldn’t choosing any library limit us to people who know that, whereas simple HTML and CSS (and JS) is a baseline most know?

2 Likes

I have similar feelings to you @jan regarding the rewrite but left more thorough thoughts on thag on the topic regarding the move to a framework. Currently the effort feels like its more about following up on the open things and building clear governance then we could move forwards. We do need a way folks with no coding experience and or who only want to contribute or remove content can do so and the current set up is also having a barrier there. These are arguably what most of the recent contributions are about so i would say after addressing the things which are open this should have priority.

2 Likes