Modernizing opensourcediversity.org: developers and content creators wanted

Hi all! I wanted to call attention to this GitHub issue I opened on the opensourcediversity.org repository. Based on recent conversations across Signal and Telegram, now seemed like a good time to figure out how we want to maintain and update our website.

There are two components to this mini-project: web development, and content management. We will need folks interested in contributing to a ReactJS-based website for our content, and others interested in evaluating and reviewing the actual content we publish.

The full details are in the GitHub issue below. If you are interested in contributing to this mini-project, please drop a comment in the GitHub issue. If you have questions or doubts, you can ask here first too. :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi Justin

On the React development side, there are about 6 volunteers from my team. I have shared the GitHub project url with them. The team should be providing their comments.

let me know if anything else needs to be enabled by me.

I have also volunteered for content management . I need some more information on that which I have updated in the GitHub. Thank you

2 Likes

Hi all, following up on this thread with the discussion details from today’s monthly call:

We will need to set up a developer meeting to begin next steps to work on the website. We will begin with a requirements gathering exercise to guide us on next steps. We should begin working on a timeline to present back to the community at the next August monthly meeting.

I have invited more folks to the GitHub team with commit access. I also created a Telegram group for developers:

More to come soon! Let us know any questions, concerns, or thoughts you have in this thread.

2 Likes

Hello Justin, I’m interested in contributing to content creation and evaluation. I noticed there is a mention of teams sending in volunteers. How do I become a part of this?

Hi, @jwf was there any follow-up here? From the GitHub Issue and here it seems the next steps were identified but I don’t see if something more happened. Seems like some good questions were asked but not sure what answers were given. To me, it seems the main goal is a more frequently updated website that can be contributed to by anyone in the community and the current barriers to that are complexity and uncertainty around how to make updates, both technically and governance-wise. To which technology best achieves this I see a desire to use something more “exciting” than plain javascript and something that gives us also “out of the box” capabilities such as content management which can also be accessed by folks with little to no programming knowledge and those who maybe don’t want to invest in learning that aspect. I have zero knowledge of React but I feel like there are several solutions out there and wondered if multiple options had been considered. Of course, one reason might be that a majority of the volunteers are familiar with this technology but regardless of the chosen stack, I believe better documentation and governance would actually be key to making this process transparent and inclusive. I personally, therefore, think it would also be better to keep conversations in one place, probably close to the code ie GitHub, and not spread across different platforms. Perhaps an exception: If there is an online hackathon for creating this then maybe this requires a second platform for the organization and I would vote for that to be here on the forum :slight_smile: What do you think?

1 Like