Open Source Diversity meetup Berlin

Hi people!
What happened to the Open Source Diversity Meetup that used to take place in Berlin monthly?
Is anyone interested in reviving it? If so please contact me.

1 Like

Hi Mariana, the monthly Berlin meetup is currently paused as there weren’t so many regulars and it was a bit exhausting for the organizers.

We were thinking of restarting it as a small “regulars’ table / Stammtisch” style meetup instead, just meeting, working on projects related to inclusion & diversity in open source, and sharing knowledge. Would you be interested in a format like that?

Specifically in Berlin we have the upcoming Open Source Diversity contribution day on October 19th where you are very welcome to attend or also to help/mentor, whatever you like. :slight_smile:

cc Berliners @jessica0greene @sarah.c.koehler @princiya @Incabell @camilasan @samu @malteserteresa @alicetragedy @Anja @Greta @aimeejulia @Kaja @oz1127 and more

We were thinking of restarting it as a small “regulars’ table / Stammtisch” style meetup instead, just meeting, working on projects related to inclusion & diversity in open source, and sharing knowledge. Would you be interested in a format like that?

Seems really cool. I’m interested.

Regarding the event, really cool too! :slight_smile: I work at Qt, so I’ll be there with Cristián giving support to people interested in making contributions to Qt and whatever other thing I know.

Thanks for letting me know Jan-Christoph!

1 Like

Hi! I know this is an old thread but were you able to get things going in Berlin again? I’d love to get involved.

4 Likes

I’m new to OSD and to Berlin,are any meetings happening? virtual or otherwise? I’d love to join! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would indeed be cool to get a regular event in Berlin running again! Right now it is a bit difficult/questionable to do in-person events cause of Covid, but we could organize some regular virtual meets as you said @selgebali – also e.g. topic-specific on sharing experiences, or for people who are interested, working on our website source code. What kind of topics would everyone be interested in? :slight_smile:

As soon as events are possible to do again, we could contact ThoughtWorks, as that’s where we used to do our cross-community contribution day events.

1 Like

I think small sprints with people from the projects to help newcomers get started are very cool. Something like the cross-community contribution day, but maybe smaller, with one or two open source projects. I think it’s also important to limit the number of participants so it’s possible to follow their progress up close and help in case they need it. (Not sure how well this would work in an online environment). Extra points if we could get cool things for the participants like books related to the projects, or even some swag :slight_smile:

I could also offer:

• a git workshop as part of a bigger event
  • a talk/workshop on how to build jupyter plugins
  • a talk/workshop on how to build jupyter kernels
3 Likes

Here are some of the topics I’m interested in and happy to organize a community call if someone else is up for it.

• Open Data practices and challenges in Low Middle-Income Countries (LMICs)
    • → Devising strategies to increase participation in Open Data
    • → Addressing the role of High-Income Countries in leveraging diversity in Open Data
    • → Accessible Software design: developing open-source tools that can be used for data analysis on a global scale// creating tools specifically to be used in LMICs, what to take into consideration? What pitfalls or challenges do you face?
2 Likes

Hi all, any word on Berlin meetups, online or otherwise?

It looks like the Meetup doesn’t exist anymore?

The link from Open Source Diversity

https://www.meetup.com/opensourcediversity/

Says

Sorry, the group you’re looking for doesn’t exist.