Linux Foundation‘s 2021 “Report on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Open Source”

The Linux Foundation‘s 2021 “Report on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Open Source” was published last week. Worth looking at.

At slide 38, it seems that more people have experienced language choices that made people unwelcome than stereotyping directed at them:

It baffled me since my guess would be that stereotyping is way more common than bad language choices. On the other hand, the demographics of the participants is not representative - e.g. 82% of the people participating identified as male and the question is whether participants experienced such a behaviour directed at them. It would be interesting to see how the picture changes for different genders e.g.

This way, I am worried that this sets a wrong focus. I am not sure how representative my feelings are, but profanity does not bother me much, whereas stereotyping makes me feel unwelcome and helpless.

The difference is mostly because of the non-binary population. They were particularly likely to report experiences re: “language”.

1 Like