Proposal: Dispursing Sponsorship Funds

Hi Nattes,

Thanks for providing your feedback and letting us know how we failed you.

Is your suggestion to use the funds we have to pay someone to update the website and reduce the backlog?

Georg

@Nattes thanks for your feedback and Iā€™m sorry to hear it was not a pleasant experience for you.

Paying someone to update the website is a great idea - but we need to create a list with the things we want to change/update, find someone to work on the website, etc. which will take time. Personally, I think the best would be to donate our funds to Outreachy. When we create the governance, we can activate again our Open Collective account and decide on the next steps.

Hi there,

Some of you are closely connected with Outreachy with your projects so you probably know all better than me what is needed there and what type of projects should be financed.

Can someone please unsuscribe me of this list ?

Kind regards,

Nattes

Hi Nattes,

Iā€™ll just say, that I made this proposal, because in my opinion, the community is inactive, and those who had volunteered in the past no longer had capacity, which is totally understandable. It could be added that rather than updating a website no one is able to maintain, it be archived.

1 Like

Bump. Can we please move forward?

Hi Emma, What do you mean by Ā« move forward Ā» ? Warm regards

EnvoyƩ de mon iPhone

Hi all,

The one person who had an alternative suggestion now agrees, ā€œPersonally, I think the best would be to donate our funds to Outreachy. When we create the governance, we can activate again our Open Collective account and decide on the next steps.ā€

I think itā€™s time to call this, donate the funds to Outreachy (with no strings attached) and be done. Iā€™m sure we will all find ways to continue working on Open Source Diversity outside this group and Iā€™m glad for the conversations we had here.

Thanks for pushing us to the finish line, Emma! Deb

1 Like

Hi all, sorry I took so long to comment, some thoughts from my side as well. I see 3 distinct topics here:

1. The site itself as a showcase
  2. The community around it
  3. Money and funding

1. The site itself as a showcase

• The idea of the site was always to showcase initiatives, to serve as an entrypoint, as a hub.
  • Maybe we branched out too far, with e.g. the events we did in Berlin (and then stopped due to Covid), and maybe even with setting up the forum ā€“ although thatā€™s great to connect.
  • But the site as an entrypoint makes sense, and will continue to do so. Yes we need to update it but thatā€™s really not a lot of work and itā€™s simple HTML. If thereā€™s suggestions, please make sure to open them in the issues at Issues Ā· opensourcediversity/opensourcediversity.org Ā· GitHub and of course pull requests are very welcome (Iā€™m also happy to help if you would like to make a pull request but require assistance)
  • In a similar vein, I had also been working on collecting bibliography related to Open Source Diversity. Be it talks, publications, press etc. It is great to see the history of the issue, and the people who have been pushing for it. (Also incorporating the list which e.g. the Geekfeminism wiki has). One thing Iā€™m struggling with (which would benefit greatly from help from also a non-coder) is how to best categorize, or how/if there should be a cut-off. So far Iā€™ve been very liberal in what to include in the list and Iā€™m wondering if that is a good approach. The branch is at GitHub - opensourcediversity/opensourcediversity.org at publications

2. The community around it

• Regarding community, it often feels like ā€œactiveā€ vs ā€œinactiveā€ is just ā€œslow and steadyā€. Often projects just exist for a year and then are not accessible, we are pretty stable compared to that. Iā€™m a bit confused by the drive to lay this project to the grave, havenā€™t experienced this in an open source community before tbh.
  • Then also, maybe it was too much to build a community around it that could ā€œbecome inactiveā€. But here again: The site itself can always have value.
  • Regarding myself for info, I was a bit out mostly because of personal reasons (difficult loss in the family). As said though I think the site is not a lot of work, simple HTML, and I am looking into it again

3. Money and funding

• Regarding the money itself, maybe it was a mistake to ever open donations. A specific plan could help, and if we would still do events it might help as well.
  • It doesnā€™t take any actual costs except the domain costs (~15 ā‚¬ per year which Iā€™m happy to pay) to keep the site running ā€“ hosting is free via Github pages and the forum is graciously sponsored by Discourse themselves. So yes, we could totally stop donations and disburse them.
  • I am not sure about disbursing them specifically to Outreachy, because it will barely pay for 1 student, and Outreachy is already well-known so another project could benefit much more.

Hi Jan, sincere appologies if this felt like a push to the grave, I think rather I am just interested in honouring the financial contributors in a way that felt sincere to the community goals - it may not be completely inactive (this thread proves that) but hs most definately been without active leadership / driver. The costs to run Outreachy go beyond a single sponsorship. On my side any donation in support of DEI in open source is a good one - I just felt like honouring Marinaā€™s leadership in this area felt like a right path. Maybe suggest a few options to vote?

1 Like

What do you mean by Ā« move forward Ā»

Make a final decision, and act on it

I think itā€™s 100% ok for open source projects and initiatives to finish. No one likes the guilty-ish feeling of a halfway abandoned project. Saying ā€œthis is finishedā€ and we distributed all the resources to like-minded projects gives everyone space to take a break and start something new.

2 Likes

I totally agree with all you have written and about funding a less known project.

Warm regards

Ps if you teach me i could help as Iā€™m going full time in september in a diversity project and I could squeeze a few hours per week in helping.

EnvoyƩ de mon iPhone

Sorry one clarification. My proposal was for Outreachy, in honour of Marina because she was one of the founders and remained active with the program throughout her illness. That said, I have no doubt Marina would be fine with any donation that pushed forward DEI in OSS.

Hi all, no obligation or anything at all, but some of you may have heard that Public Lab is shutting down some of its open source web tools due to a budget crunch. Sadly that means our participation in Outreachy and GSoC is also on the rocks, and our community coordinators/mentors will stop being funded in September, both of whom we began working with as outreachy interns.

For what itā€™s worth I wanted to share a fundraiser link where Iā€™m trying to find funds for the mentors to participate in Outreachy this coming winter, and to keep MapKnitter online in a static form. If anyone would consider supporting the fundraiser, Iā€™d be grateful.

https://twitter.com/jywarren/status/1562469747656359941?t=T6D6v5UImxOa0y8O5RqtqQ&s=19

Please note that Iā€™m doing this independent of the PL nonprofit, where Iā€™m a contractor.

Thank you! Jeff

1 Like

7000 USD now saved. An Outreachy internship. Lets do something, anything ā€¦

Since most of the people agree to donate the funds to Outreachy - next week I will check how we can do this. I will post here when I have more updates.

1 Like

Despite my concerns commented above, if we feel like we need to put the funds to use asap then Iā€™m fine with whatever is the majority decision. :slight_smile:

Thanks @jonatoni for looking into it! What we should then also do is:

• On https://opensourcediversity.org/, remove the ā€œOpen Collectiveā€ icon link in the header and footer
  • Also add a section to the website called ā€œDonationsā€ where we explain we do not directly take donations but encourage people to donate to the individual projects?
  • Post an update on Open Collective we will not be taking donations anymore, with a link to said section. Admin link: Open Source Diversity - Open Collective
  • Announce it on our Mastodon and Twitter as well
  • After getting the funds off Open Collective, we should archive it so it remains visible but not active. Admin link: Settings - Open Collective

Anything else?

1 Like

Thanks Jan, I donā€™t have something else to add. I think you have covered all.

• On https://opensourcediversity.org/, remove the ā€œOpen Collectiveā€ icon link in the header and footer
  • Also add a section to the website called ā€œDonationsā€ where we explain we do not directly take donations but encourage people to donate to the individual projects?

Can you please create an issue on GitHub for these two or should I?

• Post an update on Open Collective we will not be taking donations anymore, with a link to said section. Admin link: Open Source Diversity - Open Collective
  • Announce it on our Mastodon and Twitter as well

Can someone help with these? Otherwise, I can do it after FOSDEM.

• After getting the funds off Open Collective, we should archive it so it remains visible but not active. Admin link: Settings - Open Collective

Yep, I will do it :slight_smile:

Some updates: today I have send an email to the Outreachy organizers to move forward with the donation :tada:

1 Like

This is already done: Charitable donation to Outreachy Ā· Expense #120992 - Open Collective :tada:

1 Like