Cross Community Hackathon

@jan did I dream that we could do ticketing for the event through discourse? It would be good to start setting this up and in September start getting the word out. After tomorrow I am offline for a week and in early September will be pretty busy just a heads up for all :slight_smile:

It would be good to start setting this up and in September start getting the word out.
Sounds good to me, but then we should have the location and as far as I understand, we don’t have a final word on that yet?

So far it seems we have talked to (?) three potential hosts, but I am not sure if we have offers yet?

I don’t know anyone at Digital Ocean, but if no one can help, I would offer to just try to get in touch with someone who can help.

Ticketing we could do through Open Collective. :slight_smile:

I created a tentative event at https://opencollective.com/opensourcediversity/events/open-source-diversity-contribution-day-19378ev

Let me know what should be changed – I used the “Code more” event from last year as template (very useful!). And if you are not yet in the Open Collective group, let me know your email address via direct message and I’ll add you. :slight_smile:

I like the event page, @jan!
The text is good and I believe we have most of the key info on there. Maybe add that people need to bring there laptops? Just to focus a bit more that this is a hands on event.

I know the schedule is probably not fixed in any way yet as we don’t have a host. But if we want to “open” at 9 am, I would not start with the intro before around 9:30. Usually a lot of people run late and then the intro will be interupted a lot or missed by many people.

So I would use the first half hour as a buffer. People can come in, chat, get to know the space etc.

When I read about the schedule I also wondered if we should do a few optional talks/workshops during the day? Could be bar camp style, where we allow people to propose topics and if there is enough interest + someone who volunteers to give the talk, we have it. This could allow us to tailor the content to the needs & interests of the attendees.
That would of course only work if we have a enough room.

Or maybe we can add 1-2 questions to the signup form and ask what they would like to know about open source contributions and why they have not contributed yet. We can then try to answer all the frequent questions in the intro.

Hey @jan @sarah.c.koehler @Incabell @oz1127 can we organise a call to see where we are and what needs to be done? It would be great to confirm what projects are coming and get the event live to start promoting it.

Of course everyone here is welcome to join this call, I just tried to highlight those most active :slight_smile:

• Tuesday 10th 1pm -2pm
  • Thursday 12th 1pm -2pm
  • Wednesday 11th 9pm
  • Monday 16th 9pm
  • Tuesday 17th 9pm
  • Wednesday 18th 9pm
  • Thursday 19th 1pm -2pm
  • Thursday 19th 9pm

0 voters

1 Like

We also thought about having a small q&a with a panel after lunch, we would get a big board have people right questions on it and put plus one next to other questions they like then we can go with the most popular questions. We would need a moderator and maybe four of the people from projects to be on the panel. Also maybe we have someone who knows about Licences? This seems to be a popular question.

I just found out that the Hacktoberfest page was finally updated for 2019. It seems we can register our event there and maybe receive some swag. It will also get listed on their Hacktoberfest event overview :slight_smile:

To register we should have the event page set up, so we can maybe do that after we have the call.

Looks like we have two dates for a catch up call, so I would propose we chose the closest. This would be next week, Wednesday September 11th at 9pm.

Does that work for everyone, @jan, @jessica0greene, @oz1127 ?

2 Likes

I agree. Next week works for me!

works for me too :slight_smile:

Works for me too, talk tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Perfect catch you all tomorrow :smiley:

Hey I thought we could make the call here: meet.google.com/acn-iisr-uhh
@jan can you create a nextcloud doc to share notes? Or I will create a google one :slight_smile:

Hey, I don’t have a Google account, could we use https://meet.jit.si/opensourcediversity ? :slight_smile:
(Or at least it’s needed to join on mobile, which I need to use cause my laptop microphone is not working.)

Shared document at https://cloud.nextcloud.com/s/c927cHnf5yqbwE4

Sure I didn’t realise you need one to join a call :slight_smile:

@oz1127 sorry to have missed you this evening, we put all the notes in the document Jan shared :slight_smile:

I had to do some overhours was distracted whole evening, sorry. @jessica0greene If you would call me I would still gladly join. Would you mind me sharing my phone number @jan and @sarah.c.koehler and other participants? I am responsive on phone calls / whatsapp messages I guarantee. Feel free to involve me with further steps. Furthemore I gladly agree with the consensus, I will support the event with my community.

1 Like

@jan & @jessica0greene I just went through the email and added about 3 sentences. Not sure you can see it in the version history of the document.
One is at the beginning asking for a confirmation as soon as possible, one more sentence regarding the setup guides and then 2 more half sentences added.

1 Like

No worries Hasan. We plan to announce the event in two weeks September 24th. If you would be able to read through the notes we made and let us know if you would like to change anything/ add anything :smiley: We pencilled in to make the next call on the 26th, let us know if that works for you (we are all a little full schedule wise so it may end up not being a call and more async)

1 Like

Ive also gone through and made a few changes. Otherwise happy to send it out this afternoon :smiley: